Life in Manipur: LPG for Rs 1600, petrol Rs 140!
Imphal: Sixty days into the road blockade, the prices of essential commodities in Manipur have spiraled to an almost all-time high.
In the state, one LPG cylinder is selling at Rs 1,600 , petrol at 140 Rs a litre and diesel at Rs 80 a litre.
The two-month blockade has led to a two to three times increase in prices of food items as well. Currently, a kg of potato costs Rs 40 in the market while one kg of onions is Rs 60.
Reports also suggested that the northeastern state is facing an acute shortage of medicines as well.
The road blockade of crucial national highways in the state is preventing vital goods from reaching the state.
According to officials, the Sadar Hills District Demand Committee (SHDDC) began an indefinite road blockade agitation on August 01 for upgrading Sadar Hills sub-division in the Naga-dominated Senapati district in northern Manipur into a full-fledged district.
The United Naga Council (UNC), the apex body of Nagas in Manipur, has also been organising intermittent protests in all Naga-inhabited areas in northern Manipur, demanding that these areas should not be carved out without their consent.
Manipur depends on supplies from outside and trucks carrying essentials and other goods from the rest of India use the national highways (NH 53 and NH 39) passing through Nagaland and Assam.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends
- Indian Army makes major changes in recruitment process – Click here to get updated information