Nagaland tribes oppose proposed NSDZ
Kohima: The Nagaland Tribes Council (NTC), a body comprising different tribes of the state, has expressed reservations on state government`s ambitious project to have special development zones along the foothills of the state.
"The proposal for Nagaland Special Development Zones (NSDZ) should not in any way jeopardise basic rights of Nagaland state provided under Article 371(A) and subsequent protective laws of the state with self-infringement programme or policies," NTC President Lendinoktang Ao and General Secretary Nribemo Ngullie said in a representation to the Chief Minister T R Zeliang yesterday.
It said as per the concept note of NSDZ resolution, adopted in the state Assembly on March 24, 2014 covering five of the 11 districts, the existing land ownership and tenure system and the ILP system would be relaxed and there were proposals to restructure the land holding and tenure system.
The objective of such "structural modification" would lead to giving away "tribal lands to non-Nagas and outsiders for permanent settlement and possession," it said.
It cautioned that if the protective laws of the land were compromised in the guise of facilitating faster growth of industrialisation and urbanisation, "the sons of the soil may be eventually rendered to slaves in our own land."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey