Odisha district bags JRD Tata Memorial Ward
Bhubaneswar: Odisha`s Jajpur district has bagged the coveted fifth JRD Tata Memorial Award-2011 for population, reproductive health and family planning programme.
The award was presented by Nobel laureate Amartya Sen at JRD Tata Memorial Award and Oration function held in New Delhi on Tuesday, according to Jajpur district Collector Anil Kumar Samal.
Samal, who received the award instituted by Population Foundation of India (PFI), said Jajpur was chosen for outstanding performance in improving the health of the people in the district in recent years.
The award comprises a trophy and prize money of Rs 2 lakh, the sources said.
Six districts across the country were selected on the basis of 13 indicators, for which data were compiled and re-analysed from two successive rounds of district-level household survey (2002-04 and 2007-08) and census 2001 and 2011, he said.
The award, given by PFI in memory of its Founder Chairman JRD Tata, recognises the pace of progress by states and districts on population and reproductive health programmes.
Samal said 13 indicators have been identified on reproductive health, gender equity, family planning and housing amenities to measure the progress of the districts in the country. The award recognizes the `change` factor, signifying the pace of progress achieved over a period of time.
- Deepika Padukone in Salman Khan’s ‘Tubelight’? Kabir Khan has an answer
- Donald Trump the `presumptive` White House nominee as Cruz crashes out
- Karan Singh Grover’s words for Bipasha Basu will restore your faith in love – Check them out
- Champions League: After knocking out Bayern Munich, Atletico Madrid ready to write history
- Premier League triumph: Leicester City's 'magic' hailed globally as the party goes on