Odisha district bags JRD Tata Memorial Ward
Bhubaneswar: Odisha`s Jajpur district has bagged the coveted fifth JRD Tata Memorial Award-2011 for population, reproductive health and family planning programme.
The award was presented by Nobel laureate Amartya Sen at JRD Tata Memorial Award and Oration function held in New Delhi on Tuesday, according to Jajpur district Collector Anil Kumar Samal.
Samal, who received the award instituted by Population Foundation of India (PFI), said Jajpur was chosen for outstanding performance in improving the health of the people in the district in recent years.
The award comprises a trophy and prize money of Rs 2 lakh, the sources said.
Six districts across the country were selected on the basis of 13 indicators, for which data were compiled and re-analysed from two successive rounds of district-level household survey (2002-04 and 2007-08) and census 2001 and 2011, he said.
The award, given by PFI in memory of its Founder Chairman JRD Tata, recognises the pace of progress by states and districts on population and reproductive health programmes.
Samal said 13 indicators have been identified on reproductive health, gender equity, family planning and housing amenities to measure the progress of the districts in the country. The award recognizes the `change` factor, signifying the pace of progress achieved over a period of time.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days