New clean energy reserve found in China
Beijing: Geologists have found large masses of hot dry rock (HDR), a form of clean energy, in northwest China`s Qinghai Province, authorities said Monday.
The rocks, at least 150 sq km in area, were found 2,230 metres under Qiabuqia township in Gonghe County, in the northern part of the Gonghe basin. It is the first time such a huge amount of HDR has been found in China.
HDR is usually buried 3,000 to 10,000 metres under the earth`s surface. It can be used to generate clean electricity through its high temperature.
The breakthrough was made by a China Geology Survey geothermal energy project, in partnership with Qinghai`s department of land and resources. The project has been two years in the making.
Yan Weide, dean of the provincial institute of hydrological and geological engineering investigation, said HDR is effective in easing environmental problems caused by the greenhouse effect and acid rain.
The discovery will not only contribute to research on HDR, but could help China`s regional energy restructuring process, said Wu Tingxiang, director of the Qinghai bureau of geology, mineral exploration and development.
The amount of HDR on the Chinese mainland is estimated to be equal to about 860 trillion tonnes of standard coal -- 260,000 times that of China`s current annual energy consumption.
Only a handful of countries have mastered the technology regarding power generation using HDR, including the US, Japan and Sweden.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why