Chinese contractor suspends work on PoK hydropower plant
Islamabad: Work on the Neelum-Jhelum hydropower plant in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir has been suspended by a Chinese contractor after the authorities failed to release Rs 7.8 billion for the project, a media report said on Saturday.
The Chinese contractor has stopped work on various sections of the project after the authorities failed to meet a deadline for the release of the funds, The News daily quoted its sources as saying.
The report described the suspension of work as a "big blow" to the project.
The contractor has informed the Power Ministry about its inability to continue work on the 969 MW project beyond August 10, the sources said.
"It is indeed a setback for the project," said an unnamed official.
The Finance Ministry is setting up a review committee for the release of funds, the official said.
Any delay in releasing funds will virtually defeat the purpose of inducting sophisticated tunnel boring machines (TBMs) that were inaugurated by Pakistan Prime Minister Raja Pervez Ashraf during a visit to the site of the project on August 6, officials said.
The TBMs were acquired to speed up work on the main diversion tunnels and to reduce the construction period by 18 months, resulting in estimated savings of over Rs 60 billion.
Pakistan wants to complete the project before India`s Kishanganga hydropower plant so that it can gain priority access to the waters of the Neelum river, a major tributary of the Jhelum river.
Ashraf formally inaugurated two German-made TBMs on August 6 following their installation at the site of the Neelum-Jhelum hydropower project.
The project was underway with assistance from Chinese and other international companies and scheduled to be completed in 2016.
The two TBMs were purchased at a cost of about Rs 19.5 billion and Neelum-Jhelum project chief executive officer Lt Gen Muhammad Zubair said the cost of the machines would be recovered in three years.
Zubair said about 40 percent of the work had been completed though the project has been facing a shortage of funds for the past two months due to delay in the release of money from the Finance Ministry.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- West Bengal Board Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 announced
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh