Nepal: ‘Catastrophe if no Constitution by May 27’
Kathmandu: Nepal will plunge into a catastrophe if the Constitution is not drafted by the May 27
deadline, former prime minister and senior leader of CPN-UML
Madhav Kumar Nepal has warned.
During a press meet at Sindhupalchowk district in the
east of Kathmandu yesterday, Nepal asked the the ruling
UCPN-Maoist to expedite the process of integrating former
Maoist rebels into the Army for early conclusion of the peace
process, saying that the Constitution cannot be drafted
without completing the peace process.
"The country will plunge into a bigger catastrophe if
the Constitution could not be drafted by the stipulated time
frame," he warned.
The task of drafting the new Constitution could be
accomplished within the extended deadline of May 27 if the
Maoists show sincerity in concluding the peace process, he
But, he said that the Maoist combatants should not be
represented in the Nepal Army as demanded by them.
The Government and the opposition parties have
agreed to integrate 6,500 Maoist combatants in the national
The Maoists have demanded that its combatants should
be represented in the proposed directorate by giving them high
rank in the Army.
He stressed that the Army integration will be carried
out on the basis of the Seven-Point Agreement reached among
the major political parties last year.
The Maoist combatants will be recruited in the army
by strictly following the standard norms of Nepal Army, he
"The Maoists should not make the entire country hostage
by prolonging the Army integration process through internal
squabble surfaced within the Maoist party," he added.
Nepal`s remarks come at a time when the internal
rift has intensified within the ruling UCPN-Maoist.
Meanwhile, senior hardliner leader CP Gajurel, who is
close to top hardliner leader Mohan Vaidya, today warned to
launch agitation against the Maoist leadership and the
Gajurel said that it has become necessary to launch
agitation against his own party leadership and the government,
to safeguard national independence accusing the government is
working against the will of the people.
We opted for the struggle as the party leadership
and the government both have failed to implement the party’s
He also disclosed that the faction is working out
strategy to join hands with the opposition Nepali Congress
and CPN-UML to move a no trust motion against its own
Gajurel also demanded scrapping of the BIPPA
(Bilatral Investment promotion and Protection Agreement) Nepal
has recently signed with India to promote bilateral trade.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- West Bengal Board Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 announced
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh