Pak: 2 Hindus injured over temple land dispute
Islamabad: Two Hindus were injured when
traders opened fire at them following a dispute over the land
of a temple in Pakistan`s southern Sindh province, according
to a media report today.
The dispute began after two traders encroached on the
land of Aakharo Temple at Umerkot in Sindh while expanding
their shop. The temple is located in the middle of Umerkot
town and is believed to be 100 years old. It is spread over
three acres and has 50 shops along its boundary walls.
Two traders, Zulfiqar Punjabi and his brother Hafeez
Punjabi, began construction to expand their rented shop
without seeking permission from the temple?s administration,
The Express Tribune reported.
Seth Jhaman, an elder of the Hindu community, said,"They
started the construction work last week but when we
complained, the police stopped them." Elders of the Muslim and
Hindu communities mediated and contacted parliamentarian Nawab
Yousaf Talpur for help.
When the traders resumed the construction, the Hindus
went to talk to them yesterday. The traders then opened fire,
injuring Rano, 23, and Mool Chan, 30. The two men were taken
to a hospital in Hyderabad city in a serious condition.
The town of Umerkot shut down to protest the shooting and
due fears of possible riots. Police said they had arrested a
few men linked to traders. Superintendent of Police Munir
Khuhro said a picket had been set up at the temple.
Parliamentarians Yousaf Talpur, Mahesh Malani and Kishan
Chand Parwani have contacted the Hindus and assured them of
help. Seth Jhaman said some armed men were still inside the
Sindh province has a sizeable Hindu population.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Preity Zinta missed crew of 'ABCD 2' on 'Nach Baliye 7'
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues