Sri Lanka hopeful of riding out storm at UN meet
Colombo: Sri Lanka is hopeful that it may
be able to ride out a storm building against it at ongoing
session of the UN Human Rights Council at Geneva where US is
seeking to put Colombo in the dock over rights abuses.
Mahinda Samarasinghe, the head of the Sri Lankan
delegation currently on a short break here, has claimed that
Colombo would be able to garner enough support to stave off a
strong resolution against it on the issue.
"It is no easy job to fight with US, the world`s most
powerful nation. But we are buoyed by the pledges of support
from countries who want to oppose the US move", Samarasinghe
told reporters on Saturday.
"The non-aligned countries and the 53 member Islamic
nations group have already spoken in our favour", Samarasinghe
The US has sponsored a resolution at the session
seeking to make Lanka implement pledges on devolution of power
as recommended by the Lessons Learnt and Reconciliation
Sri Lanka views the resolution as an interference in
its internal matters and has sought more time from the
international community to implement the reconciliation.
US and the West feel that Sri Lanka had dragged
its feet too much on the issue of accountability to alleged
rights violations during the last stages of the military
conflict with the LTTE in 2009.
Sri Lanka blames the pro-LTTE diaspora of influencing
the Western governments to act against the country as revenge
over the crushing military defeat.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation Part II
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters