Zardari to attend OIC summit on Muslim world
Islamabad: Pakistan President Asif Ali Zardari will attend an extraordinary two-day summit of the Organisation of the Islamic Cooperation to be held in Saudi Arabia next month to discuss problems facing Muslim nations.
The summit has been convened by Saudi King Abdullah bin Abdul Aziz to discuss the current situation in the Muslim world, including the threats of "fragmentation and sedition".
Pakistani officials confirmed that Zardari would represent Pakistan at the summit to be held in Makkah during August 14-15.
Foreign Minister Hina Rabbani Khar and senior officials will be part of the President`s delegation, officials said.
Zardari is expected to brief leaders from the Islamic world about Pakistan`s efforts to usher in peace and stability in Afghanistan and the threats being faced by the country.
He will also talk about Pakistan`s decision to end the seven-month blockade of NATO supplies to Afghanistan.
The President is expected to hold some bilateral meetings on the margins of the summit, officials said.
This will be the fourth extraordinary summit of the OIC and it comes at a time when Muslim countries are facing several challenges, including the fighting between government forces and rebels in Syria, the conflict in Afghanistan and the targeting of Muslims in Myanmar.
According to the statement issued by the OIC secretariat in Jeddah, Saudi King Abdullah asked for the special summit to examine the situation in many countries of the Islamic world and to intensify efforts to confront this situation.
Given the differences among several OIC members, observers said no major development was expected at the summit.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy