Analytical tool to shed light on early universe
Sydney: A new analytical tool will process waves of data coming in from the new low-frequency radio telescope, the Murchison Widefield Array (MWA), to shed more light on early universe.
The MWA will survey the sky more deeply than ever before in a bid to detect faint signals from the Epoch of Reionisation, occurring within the first billion years after the Big Bang, when cool atomic hydrogen gas was heated and ionised by the universe`s first light-emitting objects.
Cathryn Trott and her team at the Curtin (University) Institute of Radio Astronomy have proposed a more accurate method of understanding bright foreground noise that may be obscuring scientists` views of these very faint signals, the Astrophysical Journal reports.
"As with everything, there is a balance to strike; the more sensitive our telescopes, the more signals we are picking up. However, not all signals are of the desired cosmic origin and are actually a contamination of our data from the bright universe we see today," Trott said, according to a Curtin statement.
Trott said the previous work wasn`t able to define the precise impact of the bright foreground signals on the ability to measure the Reionisation signal.
"As a community, we are beginning to develop some extremely sophisticated methods for finding the needle in the haystack - detecting this crucial period in the early universe - and the timing is perfect with the arrival of these exciting new telescopes," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you