Chinese lunar rover comes back to life
Beijing: China`s moon rover Yutu is awake after its troubled dormancy but experts are still trying to find out the cause of its abnormality, a spokesman for the country`s lunar probe programme said Thursday.
"Yutu has come back to life," Xinhua quoted spokesman Pei Zhaoyu as saying.
Pei said the moon rover, named after the pet of a lunar goddess in Chinese mythology, has now been restored to its normal signal reception function. But experts are still working to verify the cause of its mechanical control abnormality.
The problem emerged before Yutu entered its second dormancy on the moon Jan 25 as the lunar night fell.
"Yutu went to sleep under an abnormal status," Pei said, adding that experts were concerned that it might not be able to survive the extremely low temperatures during the lunar night.
"The rover stands a chance of being saved now that it is still alive," he said.
On Sina Weibo, the Chinese equivalent of Twitter, user `Yutu Lunar Rover`, which has followed the developments of the rover mission with a first-person account, posted its first update since the abnormality.
"Hi, anybody there?" it asked in a post, which immediately attracted tens of thousands of comments.
Many Chinese internet users said they were moved to hear that their "cute rabbit" had "come back to life", with some even saying the rover was a "foodie" waking up for rice dumplings, a must-have delicacy for China`s Lantern Festival that falls Friday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM