Mexican astronomy enthusiasts set Guinness record
Puebla: Mexican astronomy enthusiasts set a Guinness record over the weekend by simultaneously pointing 2,978 telescopes at the Moon from different parts of the country, organizers said.
The greatest number of telescopes - 316 - were set up in the vestibule of the cathedral in the central Mexican state of Puebla, and all focused on the Moon at the same time, the National Institute of Astrophysics, Optics and Electronics, or INAOE, researcher Raul Mujica said.
Joining in the feat was the Large Millimeter Telescope, the biggest radio telescope in the world in its range of frequencies, located on the Sierra Negra Volcano between the states of Puebla and Veracruz.
For several minutes it directed its antenna, measuring 50 meters in diameter, toward the Earth`s natural satellite.
The enterprise was carried out as part of the celebrations for the International Year of Water Cooperation declared by the UN General Assembly for the year 2013.
On this occasion, Mexico broke the record it previously set in 2011 when space enthusiasts and astronomers set up 2,753 telescopes in all the states of the country to observe the Moon simultaneously.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- Tamil Nadu SSLC Results 2015 on tnresults.nic.in