NASA keeps close watch as Comet ISON nears sun
Zee Media Bureau/Liji Varghese
New Delhi: Astronomers and sky-watchers are keeping a close eye on Comet ISON as it prepares for the closest encounter with the sun on Thanksgiving.
The sungrazing comet will reach the perihelion (closest approach to the sun) approximately around 1835 GMT on Thursday, November 28.
Though the fate of the comet still remains uncertain, if it does survive the solar flares the `Comet of the century` will put up a spectacular show early December.
ISON comes from Oort cloud, a loose nebulous sphere containing billions of icy, rocky objects on the very edge of the solar system, where it has been for the last 4.6 billion years.
A sungrazer, ISON is among the very few comets to go through the corona of the sun. It will pass the Sun at a distance of just 1.2 million kms.
Astronomers fear that the comet might break apart or fizzle out as it passes close to the sun. The only hope that the astronomers are betting on is the size of the comet which might help it withstand the solar flares.
Some early observations did suggest that the comet has already broken up as it was getting dimmer. However, the comet which entered the view of the European Space Agency/NASA mission the Solar and Heliospheric Observatory in the Large Angle and Spectrometric Coronagraph instrument in the early hours of November 27 looked quite brightened up once again.
NASA also released the video of Comet ISON moving ever closer to the sun captured in the early hours of November 27, 2013 by ESA/NASA Solar and Heliospheric Observatory.
Watch the video here:
“Don`t look for ISON during the day on November 28. NASA spacecraft will watch it and we`ll post images here, including near real time images from SDO starting at 1745 GMT. As always, never look directly at the sun.” NASA posted on its website. “If it doesn`t break up, ISON will be visible near the horizon in early December. Look to the East before sunrise and to the Northwest after sunset.”
NASA solar physicists will also track the comet LIVE during #ISON’s closest approach to the sun and answer your questions on Google Hangout live from 1800 to 2030 GMT, or via Twitter using #ISON and #askNASA.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened