NASA releases amazing pictures of Mars rover Curiosity from space
Zee Media Bureau/Salome Phelamei
Washington: NASA has released astonishing pictures of the Curiosity rover clicked by its Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter as the robotic spacecraft rambles across the Martian surface.
The two images were snapped by the spacecraft`s High Resolution Imaging Science Experiment (HiRISE) camera on December 11 2013.
The first image shows the two parallel lines of the Curiosity`s wheel tracks are about 10 feat (3m) apart.
A second image released by NASA shows Curiosity rover`s tracks as seen by the orbiter spacecraft, but not the rover itself.
Dr John Bridges, University of Leicester space scientist, who is working with NASA to interpret data sent back by the rover said: “The HiRISE camera on Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter keeps an eye on our progress, sending back photos every few months.
“A recently captured image taken on December 11, shows the tracks and rover as we pick our way around impact craters and their boulder fields.”
The Curiosity rover was launched from Cape Canaveral on November 26, 2011, aboard the Mars Science Laboratory (MSL) spacecraft and successfully landed on Aeolis Palus in Gale Crater on Mars on August 6, 2012.
The car-sized rover is currently on its way to an area known as Mount Sharp.
Curiosity`s goals include- investigation of the Martian surface for signs that liquid water once flowed on the Red Planet, and that whether the planet has ever supported microbial life.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Parrikar hits out at Nawaz Sharif, says India doesn't need advice about troops in Siachen
- Prefer to ignore what Nawaz Sharif said at UN, says Manohar Parrikar
- Congressmen tie pigeon inside rocket to welcome their leader – A must watch for Rahul Gandhi
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'