`Saturn Opposition` 2014: Watch out for the ringed planet on May 10
Zee Media Bureau/Salome Phelamei
Chennai: Sky watchers will be treated to an enchanting event on Saturday night, May 10 as Saturn, the sixth planet from the Sun, will be at its finest.
The phenomenon called the `Saturn Opposition` can be viewed between 7pm and 8:30pm appearing all night long in the constellation Libra.
Saturn will be closest to us on May 10 as the Earth passes between the planet and the Sun. This celestial event is known as `Saturn Opposition`.
During the ‘Opposition’ the ringed planet will be at a distance of 129.9 crore kms from the Earth, said P Iyanperumal, Executive Director of the Periyar Science and Technology Centre in Chennai.
The rings around the planet will also be tilted at a favourable angle and can be viewed well by astronomers. Using a telescope, some of the planet`s features such as the A and B ring, Cassini’s Division and the moons - Titan, Tethys, Rhea and Dione, will be clearly in sight.
In 2013, the `Opposition` had occurred on April 28, and in 2015, it will take place on May 23.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- First Minister Nicola Sturgeon plans EU future for Scotland after Brexit
- Seven hospitalized in California stabbing at neo-Nazi rally
- I respect martyrdom but you're trained to kill enemy, not to die - Manohar Parrikar told jawans
- Pampore attack: Did CRPF ignore specific intelligence input from Jammu and Kashmir Police?
- Euro 2016: Belgium beat Hungary 4-0 to reach quarterfinal as Yannick Carrasco scores final goal