`Saturn Opposition` 2014: Watch out for the ringed planet on May 10
Zee Media Bureau/Salome Phelamei
Chennai: Sky watchers will be treated to an enchanting event on Saturday night, May 10 as Saturn, the sixth planet from the Sun, will be at its finest.
The phenomenon called the `Saturn Opposition` can be viewed between 7pm and 8:30pm appearing all night long in the constellation Libra.
Saturn will be closest to us on May 10 as the Earth passes between the planet and the Sun. This celestial event is known as `Saturn Opposition`.
During the ‘Opposition’ the ringed planet will be at a distance of 129.9 crore kms from the Earth, said P Iyanperumal, Executive Director of the Periyar Science and Technology Centre in Chennai.
The rings around the planet will also be tilted at a favourable angle and can be viewed well by astronomers. Using a telescope, some of the planet`s features such as the A and B ring, Cassini’s Division and the moons - Titan, Tethys, Rhea and Dione, will be clearly in sight.
In 2013, the `Opposition` had occurred on April 28, and in 2015, it will take place on May 23.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter
- ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’ Salman Khan weaves magic at BO; to register Rs 500 crore soon!