Scientists carry out first rock dating experiment on Mars
Zee Media Bureau/Salome Phelamei
Washington: Scientists have, for the first time, successfully determined the age of a Martian rock through experiments being carried out on the Red Planet.
The experiment, which was published in the journal Science Express, was led by geochemist Ken Farley of the California Institute of Technology (Caltech), will not only help in understanding the geologic history of Mars but also aid in the search for evidence of ancient life on the planet.
Farley and his colleagues determined the age of the rock to be about 3.86 to 4.56 billion years old.
While researchers have measured the ages of rocks from other planetary bodies, the actual studies such as determining moon rocks and meteorites have always been done on Earth.
Many of the experiments carried out by the Mars Science Laboratory (MSL) mission`s Curiosity rover were painstakingly planned by NASA scientists more than a decade ago.
In March, Curiosity drilled holes into the mud-stone and collected powdered rock samples from two locations about three meters apart.
Once the rock samples were drilled, Curiosity`s robotic arm delivered the rock powder to the Sample Analysis on Mars (SAM) instrument, where it was used for a variety of chemical analyses, including rock dating-techniques.
One technique, potassium-argon dating, determines the age of a rock sample by measuring how much argon gas it contains.
The potassium-argon method has been used to date rocks on Earth for many decades, but these types of measurements need sophisticated lab equipment to carry out the work.
Farley and team heated the sample to high temperatures so that the gases within the rock could be released and could be analysed by an on-board mass spectrometer.
“In one sense, this is an utterly unsurprising result - it’s the number that everybody expected,” Farley said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Indrani Mukerjea's three plans to kill Sheena Bora
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- Baby girl still in hospital after 76 days, mother denies relationship with baby
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- When Indrani Mukerjea broke down on meeting her daughter Vidhie