SOHO captures images of CMEs erupting from sun
Washington: ESA/NASA Solar and Heliospheric Observatory ( SOHO) has captured images of a coronal mass ejection or CME erupting away from the sun on Tuesday.
The sun is obscured to make the dimmer solar atmosphere more visible.
The bright object in the top right of the first image is Venus.
A giant cloud of solar material called a coronal mass ejection escapes the sun in the second image, from the ESA/ NASA Solar and Heliospheric Observatory.
Scientists use this kind of picture, called a coronagraph, in which the sun is obscured, to better see the sun`s atmosphere, the corona.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre