SOHO captures images of CMEs erupting from sun
Washington: ESA/NASA Solar and Heliospheric Observatory ( SOHO) has captured images of a coronal mass ejection or CME erupting away from the sun on Tuesday.
The sun is obscured to make the dimmer solar atmosphere more visible.
The bright object in the top right of the first image is Venus.
A giant cloud of solar material called a coronal mass ejection escapes the sun in the second image, from the ESA/ NASA Solar and Heliospheric Observatory.
Scientists use this kind of picture, called a coronagraph, in which the sun is obscured, to better see the sun`s atmosphere, the corona.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Katra helicopter crash: 'Dead pilot' Sumita Vijayan says she is alive