Venus, Jupiter, Mercury to come closest on May 28
Washington: May 28th, 2013, Venus and Jupiter will pass within one degree of one other (about twice the apparent size of the full moon, it has been predicted.
And a little further above the horizon Mercury will also put in an appearance.
Although they may look close from our point of view, in reality Jupiter will be 660 million kilometers further away than Venus, and 744 million kilometers further away than Mercury, which is the closest of all of them come to us.
Mercury is always an elusive planet but the 28th will be a great evening to try and spot it low in the west after sunset.
This beauty of the planetary conjunction could be spotted after sunset when the western sky starts to go dark.
To find them, look out for two bright `stars`; the lowest will be Jupiter, above and brighter will be Venus and higher up and a little fainter than both of them will be Mercury.
Astronomers are able to predict such celestial events, thanks to Johannes Kepler `s laws of planetary motion, which he documented back in the first few decades of the 17th Century.
Using these laws, which fundamentally come from the laws of gravitation, allows astronomers to predict with incredible accuracy how the planets move.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Salman Khan miffed with Huma Qureshi –Sohail Khan affair reports?