Anti-molester device developed by Tamil Nadu engineering student
Srivilliputhur (Tamil Nadu): An engineering student here has claimed to have developed an electronic device that could help girls to protect themselves from molesters by benumbing the attacker temporarily.
Resembling a hair clip or mobile cover, the "Ladies safety shocker", designed by second year Mechanical Engineering student V R Manikandan of private Kalasilingam University, can let out an electric shock at the press of a button, benumbing the attacker temporarily.
Besides, the device, powered by a three volt battery which is rechargeable with solar power, would also raise an alarm with a beep sound that can be heard in a radius of 20 metres, Manikandan said.
Concern over incidents of attacks on women such as gang-rape prompted him to develop the device, he said.
"If any person attempted to flirt with girls, particularly in buses or trains, this handy device will temporarily benumb the person. It is more effective than karate or pepper spray as it does less harm," he said.
It is planned to incorporate the device, which will cost around Rs 150, in watch strap or wrist band, the student said adding his classmate Bharat Kiran was also involved in developing it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog