Mullaperiyar row: Vaiko talks of economic blockade
Coimbatore: Economic blockade of Kerala by
Tamil Nadu is the "only solution" to reign in the Kerala
government and political parties in the neighbouring state,
who are "bent upon decommissioning or demolishing the
Mullaperiyar dam," MDMK general secretary Vaiko said on Sunday.
With the Centre "washing its hands" off the issue and
"keeping silent" in favour of Kerala and the Supreme Court
giving an "unclear" direction, political parties in Kerala
were trying to unleash violence against Tamils living there,
he said. The parties were also trying to demolish the dam,
which would turn five southern districts in Tamil Nadu into a
"desert," Vaiko alleged at a press conference here.
The MDMK chief, who announced a one-day symbolic blockade
on December 21 of 13 roads leading to Kerala from Tamil Nadu, said,
"Our point is clear. Kerala must drop the idea of
decommissioning and demolishing the Mullaperiyar dam, which is
very strong. The (Kerala) government should also drop the idea
of constructing a dam in Idikki, in the pretext of generating
power," Vaiko said.
When asked whether disrupting power to Kerala from Neyveli
was part of the blockade, Vaiko said there was no such plan,
but their future course of action would depend on the
response from Kerala over the issue.
Vaiko also lauded Home Minister P Chidambaram`s comments on
the dam row, in which he suggested political parties in Kerala
were raking up the issue due to the upcoming bypoll in the
state. "At last a Congress MP, that too a minister, has shown
courage to stand up in favour of Tamil Nadu."
Blaming the previous DMK regime for "not taking any
measures" to solve the issue, Vaiko said the present AIADMK
government was moving in the right direction, as far as the
Mullaperiyar issue was concerned.
The MDMK chief also condemned the attacks on Tamil Nadu
buses and alleged attempts to outrage the modesty of Tamil
women estate workers by some anti-social elements from Kerala.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army kills 35 terrorists in surgical strikes across LoC
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’