Protest against arrest of fishermen by Lankan Navy
Rameswaram: Fishermen from Pamban coastal village in Rameswaram on Tuesday decided to boycott fishing indefinitely, demanding release of 35 of their fellowmen arrested by Sri Lankan navy on charges of violating the International Maritime Boundary Line.
The fishermen also held a demonstration standing in the sea for a few hours as part of their protest.
They urged the authorities to take urgent steps for the release of the fishermen, arrested yesterday while fishing in the Palk Strait. The Lankan navy allegedly also seized their boats.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Singapore's Deputy PM calls on Narendra Modi
- AIMIM to move to SC against Bombay HC verdict on allowing women entry to Haji Ali
- Cuteness alert! Meet Deepak Tijori's adorable daughter Samara Tijori – View pics
- Disrupted sleeping habits may cause suicidal thoughts
- US aid to Pakistan shrinks amid mounting frustration over militants