TN fisherman serving life term dies in Lanka
Ramanathapuram: A 62-year old Tamil Nadu fisherman, undergoing life imprisonment in Sri Lanka for alleged smuggling of brown sugar in 2004, has died of heart attack, police said.
Thangaraj of Perungulam in the district, lodged in a prison in Colombo, died last evening, according to official information received by his family members and state Marine Police here on Monday.
The family members appealed to the district administration to arrange for bringing Thangaraj`s body to his native village.
Thangaraj, arrested in Thalaimannar in Sri Lanka, was convicted and sentenced to life term by a local court, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets