TN fisherman serving life term dies in Lanka
Ramanathapuram: A 62-year old Tamil Nadu fisherman, undergoing life imprisonment in Sri Lanka for alleged smuggling of brown sugar in 2004, has died of heart attack, police said.
Thangaraj of Perungulam in the district, lodged in a prison in Colombo, died last evening, according to official information received by his family members and state Marine Police here on Monday.
The family members appealed to the district administration to arrange for bringing Thangaraj`s body to his native village.
Thangaraj, arrested in Thalaimannar in Sri Lanka, was convicted and sentenced to life term by a local court, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- Former CM Panneerselvam demands secret voting in Tamil Nadu Assembly
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Exclusive: In conversation with Rajnath Singh, Union Home Minister
- DMK, Congress will vote against government formation in Tamil Nadu
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- Pakistan Senate passes Hindu Marriage Bill
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley