Badaun gang-rape: HC reserves order on PIL seeking CBI probe
Lucknow: The Allahabad High Court on Wednesday reserved its order on a PIL seeking direction for a CBI probe into the gang-rape and murder case of two teenaged cousin sisters in Badaun district.
The order was reserved by a vacation bench of justices Imtiyaz Murtaza and Rajan Roy here on the PIL filed by NGO `We the People` through its general secretary Prince Lenin.
On behalf of the Uttar Pradesh government, Additional Advocate General Bulbul Godiyal submitted that the CBI has accepted the government`s request for a probe by the agency.
She said adequate security has been provided to the family members of the victims as well as the witnesses.
The petitioner`s counsel, while citing earlier ruling of the High Court, prayed that a time-frame should be fixed for the inquiry.
The UP government had earlier submitted the copy of the notification recommending CBI probe into the incident through AAG Godiyal.
The petitioner also submitted the copies of FIR and post-mortem reports.
The petitioner had sought direction for a CBI probe into the Badaun incident as well as action against the erring police officers concerned, besides providing adequate security to the family members of the victims.
The two teenaged girls, who were cousins aged 14 and 15 years, were allegedly gangraped and murdered with their bodies found hanging from a mango tree, a day after they went missing on May 27, in a village in Ushait area in Badaun.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM