Complaint against minister for sexist remarks on Mayawati
Lucknow: A complaint was filed Saturday with the National Commission for Women (NCW) against Uttar Pradesh Tourism Minister Om Prakash Singh for his alleged sexist remarks against former chief minister Mayawati.
In her complaint, second year law student Tanya Thakur has strongly objected to the minister`s remarks during a speech Friday where he called Mayawati an "ugly-faced marauder".
Thakur, a budding lawyer, termed the minister`s remarks "extremely crude and sexist, which is unbecoming of his position".
If a leader of Mayawati`s stature can be humiliated through such unwarranted remarks, what would be the plight of ordinary women, she asked.
Thakur has asked NCW chair Mamta Sharma to inquire into the matter and take action.
At a rally in Ghazipur, Om Prakash Singh had said: "Aap log toh bahut bahadur ho. Jab aap log Mayawati jaisi soorat ki aurat ko panch saal tak jhel sakte ho, toh thoda samay toh hum logon ko bhi de sakte ho (You people are very brave. When you can tolerate a woman with Mayawati`s face for five years, surely you can give us some time too)."
He had called the BSP leader "corrupt, badly-behaved and a marauder like (medieval invaders) Mohammed Ghori, Chenghis Khan, Ahmed Shah Abdali and Nadir Shah."
"Such language from a minister against a former chief minister not only exposes his mindset towards women but also raises serious doubts on the well-being of women in the state, who are already reeling under a spate of attacks," Thakur told.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA