Extreme cold claims 13 more lives in UP
Lucknow: Biting cold claimed 13 more lives in Uttar Pradesh where Agra freezed with minimum temperature plummeting to 2.6 degree celsius on Thursday.
While three persons died due to extreme cold in Barabanki, two each died in Bijnore, Sultanpur and Chandauli and one each in Gazipur, Baghpat, Banda and Sonebhadra in the last 24 hours, officials said.
With the 13 more deaths, the toll due to intense cold this winter rose to 34 in the state.
Maximum temperatures remained below normal by 8 to 10 degrees Celsius in many parts of the state, Met office said.
Agra was coldest in the state with the minimum at 2.6 degree celsius.
Night temperatures fell largely in Gorakhpur division, fell markedly in Faizabad division and fell in Lucknow division.
They were below normal in Varanasi, Allahabad, Kanpur and Agra divisions.
MeT office has forecast mainly dry and foggy weather in the state in the next 24 hours.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest