UP BJP to collect relief funds for calamity-hit Uttarakhand
Lucknow: In view of devastation in Uttarakhand due to flash floods and landslips, the Uttar Pradesh unit of BJP on Thursday decided to collect funds for the calamity-hit people in the hill state, where thousands are feared to have been killed.
In a statement issued here, state unit president Laxmi Kant Bajpai said that the fund raising campaign would be started with the BJP MLAs donating their one day salary.
Bajpai said that the district presidents would send the collected money to the state president, who would forward it to Uttarakhand unit of the party.
He said that the party cadres would also extend assistance to the relief work being carried out by RSS and BJP workers in the neighbouring state.
The state president said that besides funds, edibles and other necessary items would also be collected from people to dispatch it to the rain-ravaged state.
The Himalayan tragedy continued to unfold today with fears that thousands of pilgrims staying in 90 rest houses in Uttarakhand may have been washed away in flash floods even as rescue operations were today stepped up with additional IAF choppers pressed into service to evacuate stranded people in Kedarnath area.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bipasha Basu, Karan Singh Grover set floor ablaze with killer moves at wedding reception – Watch here
- Petrol, diesel-run cabs banned from Delhi-NCR roads from today
- Wealth from waste: A novel Indian biotech solution
- IAF chopper sprinkles water to douse Uttarakhand forest fires; Rajnath Singh reviews situation
- China may reconsider stand on Pakistani terrorists Hafiz Saeed, Masood Azhar?