UP govt declares 21 districts sensitive for Holi
Lucknow: A day ahead of Holi, Uttar Pradesh government Tuesday declared 21 districts, including Meerut, Aligarh and Faizabad as sensitive and asked the authorities to be extra vigilant across the state, an official said.
The government has asked the district magistrates and district police chiefs to be "extra vigilant" as the state has a history disturbances on the day of the festival. It warned of strict action against errant officials.
Meerut, Moradabad, Bareilly, Aligarh, Agra, Faizabad, Lucknow, Kanpur, Gorakhpur, Varanasi, Allahabad, Azamgarh, Firozabad and Mau among others have been provided with additional security forces, Inspector General of Police (Law and Order) R.K. Vishwakarma said.
"In all 39 companies of the provincial armed constabulary (PAC), 12 companies of rapid action force (RAF), 20 additional superintendent of police (ASPs), 2,000 plus police recruits and constables have been pressed into service for Holi," he said.
Twenty-one districts of the state has been declared as sensitive. With more than 27 communal riots reported in the last one year, the Samajwadi Party government of Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav is taking no chances.
"The chief minister has made it clear that no disturbance on the festival would be tolerated and that strict and punitive action would be taken against errant officials," a close associate of the chief minister said.
Officials have been asked to patrol areas of their districts while Holi is being played and ensure that "even a small incident is attended to and sorted out".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars