Special cell in Uttarakhand to deal with crime against women
Dehradun: Amid increasing concerns over women safety in backdrop of the Delhi gang-rape incident, the Uttarakhand police has set up a dedicated special cell headed by a woman IPS officer to deal with crime against women.
Announcing this yesterday, DGP Satyavrat Bansal said IPS officer Vimmi Sachdeva will head the cell.
The state police chief further said helpline numbers have also been launched in all districts to help women register their complaints, which will be treated as FIRs.
Presenting the police department`s quarterly report card, the DGP said incidents of rape and sodomy saw a nine per cent rise in the state during the year 2012.
There were 105 such cases (rape and sodomy) in 2010 while in 2011, 120 such cases were registered. In 2012 the numbers rose to 136, he said.
Out of them, 88 of these cases have been disposed of and 29 accused have been convicted, Bansal added.
Listing out his priorities for 2013, the DGP said while crime against women will be on top of his agenda, a crackdown on organised land mafia active in the state is also on cards.
"Atrocities against women will not be tolerated and land sharks will be toughly dealt with," Bansal said, adding there will be zero tolerance against drug peddlers.
A Special Task Force has been set up to look into cases of grabbing of both government and private land, the DGP said.
Bansal said Udhamsingh Nagar and Roorkee in Haridwar district have been identified as highly sensitive in terms of crime in the state.
Appropriate measures have been taken by the police to check crime in these two border districts, which are being used by criminals as a gateway for sending stolen vehicles, besides also being treated as entry points by offenders.
The DGP said great emphasis is being laid upon computer literacy among police personnel and steps are being taken to train them in handling CCTV cameras.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!