Special cell in Uttarakhand to deal with crime against women
Dehradun: Amid increasing concerns over women safety in backdrop of the Delhi gang-rape incident, the Uttarakhand police has set up a dedicated special cell headed by a woman IPS officer to deal with crime against women.
Announcing this yesterday, DGP Satyavrat Bansal said IPS officer Vimmi Sachdeva will head the cell.
The state police chief further said helpline numbers have also been launched in all districts to help women register their complaints, which will be treated as FIRs.
Presenting the police department`s quarterly report card, the DGP said incidents of rape and sodomy saw a nine per cent rise in the state during the year 2012.
There were 105 such cases (rape and sodomy) in 2010 while in 2011, 120 such cases were registered. In 2012 the numbers rose to 136, he said.
Out of them, 88 of these cases have been disposed of and 29 accused have been convicted, Bansal added.
Listing out his priorities for 2013, the DGP said while crime against women will be on top of his agenda, a crackdown on organised land mafia active in the state is also on cards.
"Atrocities against women will not be tolerated and land sharks will be toughly dealt with," Bansal said, adding there will be zero tolerance against drug peddlers.
A Special Task Force has been set up to look into cases of grabbing of both government and private land, the DGP said.
Bansal said Udhamsingh Nagar and Roorkee in Haridwar district have been identified as highly sensitive in terms of crime in the state.
Appropriate measures have been taken by the police to check crime in these two border districts, which are being used by criminals as a gateway for sending stolen vehicles, besides also being treated as entry points by offenders.
The DGP said great emphasis is being laid upon computer literacy among police personnel and steps are being taken to train them in handling CCTV cameras.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Heat wave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India