Special cell in Uttarakhand to deal with crime against women
Dehradun: Amid increasing concerns over women safety in backdrop of the Delhi gang-rape incident, the Uttarakhand police has set up a dedicated special cell headed by a woman IPS officer to deal with crime against women.
Announcing this yesterday, DGP Satyavrat Bansal said IPS officer Vimmi Sachdeva will head the cell.
The state police chief further said helpline numbers have also been launched in all districts to help women register their complaints, which will be treated as FIRs.
Presenting the police department`s quarterly report card, the DGP said incidents of rape and sodomy saw a nine per cent rise in the state during the year 2012.
There were 105 such cases (rape and sodomy) in 2010 while in 2011, 120 such cases were registered. In 2012 the numbers rose to 136, he said.
Out of them, 88 of these cases have been disposed of and 29 accused have been convicted, Bansal added.
Listing out his priorities for 2013, the DGP said while crime against women will be on top of his agenda, a crackdown on organised land mafia active in the state is also on cards.
"Atrocities against women will not be tolerated and land sharks will be toughly dealt with," Bansal said, adding there will be zero tolerance against drug peddlers.
A Special Task Force has been set up to look into cases of grabbing of both government and private land, the DGP said.
Bansal said Udhamsingh Nagar and Roorkee in Haridwar district have been identified as highly sensitive in terms of crime in the state.
Appropriate measures have been taken by the police to check crime in these two border districts, which are being used by criminals as a gateway for sending stolen vehicles, besides also being treated as entry points by offenders.
The DGP said great emphasis is being laid upon computer literacy among police personnel and steps are being taken to train them in handling CCTV cameras.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday