Uttarakhand situation may worsen: NDRF
New Delhi: The already grave situation in Uttarakhand may worsen with more landslides as the hillsides have become weak following incessant rain, the NDRF said Monday.
"Both rain and landslides are problems. Hills have become weak... if there is more rain, there is risk of the hills collapsing," a spokesperson of the National Disaster Response Force (NDRF)said.
"More rain will cause flood, and after that, collapsing hills may cause a problem," he said.
NDRF is managing the rescue operations in flood-hit Uttarakhand, along with the army and Indo-Tibetan Border Police. The spokesperson said two rescue teams that have been moved are "lighter teams".
"There are lots of equipment we cannot use right now... (we) will move in the heavy team later," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened