Uttarakhand tragedy: Tonnes of wood, ghee for mass cremation at Kedarnath
Gauchar: Uttarakhand authorities are trying to arrange for as much as 50 tonnes of wood and as much volume of `desi ghee` to conduct last rites of those who perished in the deluge at Kedarnath.
Officials of the Garhwal administration have sounded authorities in the state `Van Nigam` (Forest Corporation) and other agencies to gather as much fire wood and logs and pick cans of `ghee` from the open market.
"We want to start the funerals today in Kedarnath provided the weather permits. All concerned authorities have been asked to make arrangements," a senior state government official told a news agency.
The official said that funerals have to start today in the temple town or else the bodies will begin rotting badly.
While close to thousands have been evacuated from the temple town, worst hit by rains and flash floods, there is no exact estimate as to how many people would have perished in this area.
Many parts of the state received rains last night and in the morning but helicopter operations are expected to be operational today.
- J&K: Teams named after militants in cricket tournament
- Laser walls activated along Indo-Pak border to keep vigil against terrorists
- Haji Ali Dargah row: Trupti Desai wants support of Aamir, Salman, SRK
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- View from space: Bahamas reef looks like a watercolor painting!
- Madame Tussauds to unveil PM Narendra Modi's wax statue in London today
- WATCH: Hilarious! Chris Gayle performs on 'Champion' song; asks fans to contact him for bookings
- AgustaWestland VVIP chopper scam: SC to hear plea next week on FIR against 'bribe-takers'
- Wow! KFC India to replace plastic packaging with edible bowls!