Uttarakhand tragedy: Tonnes of wood, ghee for mass cremation at Kedarnath
Gauchar: Uttarakhand authorities are trying to arrange for as much as 50 tonnes of wood and as much volume of `desi ghee` to conduct last rites of those who perished in the deluge at Kedarnath.
Officials of the Garhwal administration have sounded authorities in the state `Van Nigam` (Forest Corporation) and other agencies to gather as much fire wood and logs and pick cans of `ghee` from the open market.
"We want to start the funerals today in Kedarnath provided the weather permits. All concerned authorities have been asked to make arrangements," a senior state government official told a news agency.
The official said that funerals have to start today in the temple town or else the bodies will begin rotting badly.
While close to thousands have been evacuated from the temple town, worst hit by rains and flash floods, there is no exact estimate as to how many people would have perished in this area.
Many parts of the state received rains last night and in the morning but helicopter operations are expected to be operational today.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof