Fire destroys over 100 shanties in Kolkata
Kolkata: A devastating fire on Wednesday destroyed over 100 shanties in Tangra area in the metropolis, but there was no loss of life.
Ten tenders of the fire brigade battled the blaze for an hour and brought it under control, police and fire brigade sources said.
Firemen evacuated people from the area as a precautionary measure, the sources said.
Local people helped firemen fetch water from ponds with hose pipes laid over railway tracks leading to suspension of Budge Budge-Naihati and Canning-Bongaon train services.
Fire Services minister Javed Khan said that there was no casualty in the fire which gutted over 100 shanties.
The situation was under control, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog