Fire destroys over 100 shanties in Kolkata
Kolkata: A devastating fire on Wednesday destroyed over 100 shanties in Tangra area in the metropolis, but there was no loss of life.
Ten tenders of the fire brigade battled the blaze for an hour and brought it under control, police and fire brigade sources said.
Firemen evacuated people from the area as a precautionary measure, the sources said.
Local people helped firemen fetch water from ponds with hose pipes laid over railway tracks leading to suspension of Budge Budge-Naihati and Canning-Bongaon train services.
Fire Services minister Javed Khan said that there was no casualty in the fire which gutted over 100 shanties.
The situation was under control, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what