Former MP Sarala Maheswari`s husband, son-in-law arrested
Kolkata: Former CPI(M) Rajya Sabha MP Sarala Maheshwari`s husband Arun Maheswari and son-in-law Amitabha Kejriwal were on Sunday arrested from near here for allegedly forging documents to buy land.
The duo were later remanded to 10 days` police custody by the Bidhannagar Sub-Divisional Judicial Magistrate`s court on charge of cheating by using forged documents in the name of some employees of their firm and procuring land in nearby New Town area in North 24 Parganas district.
The two were arrested from their Salt Lake residences, falling under North 24 Parganas.
Some of their employees had earlier accused that their names were fraudulently used to procure plots.
It was alleged in court that Maheswari`s company, started in 2004, had got hold of hundreds of acres of land by intimidation or forging of documents.
The defence counsel, however, denied all the charges.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez