Former MP Sarala Maheswari`s husband, son-in-law arrested
Kolkata: Former CPI(M) Rajya Sabha MP Sarala Maheshwari`s husband Arun Maheswari and son-in-law Amitabha Kejriwal were on Sunday arrested from near here for allegedly forging documents to buy land.
The duo were later remanded to 10 days` police custody by the Bidhannagar Sub-Divisional Judicial Magistrate`s court on charge of cheating by using forged documents in the name of some employees of their firm and procuring land in nearby New Town area in North 24 Parganas district.
The two were arrested from their Salt Lake residences, falling under North 24 Parganas.
Some of their employees had earlier accused that their names were fraudulently used to procure plots.
It was alleged in court that Maheswari`s company, started in 2004, had got hold of hundreds of acres of land by intimidation or forging of documents.
The defence counsel, however, denied all the charges.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over SP leader Azam Khan's controversial remark on Muslim population
- Former CM Panneerselvam demands secret voting in Tamil Nadu Assembly
- Exclusive: In conversation with Rajnath Singh, Union Home Minister
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- DMK, Congress will vote against government formation in Tamil Nadu
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowance Committee likely to submit report on 20 February
- Pakistan Senate passes Hindu Marriage Bill
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO