Kolkata rape: Governor defends Mamata
Kolkata: West Bengal Governor MK Narayanan Thursday said Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee may have been trying to "defuse the situation" in calling an alleged rape a "cooked up" incident.
"She (Banerjee) was probably trying to defuse the situation. I don`t know who should speak and when. It is not something you can take a decision on," Narayanan told reporters here on the sidelines of the 14th convocation of the Bengal Engineering and Science University.
The Governor was asked if Banerjee had made the comment on the incident prematurely.
An Anglo-Indian woman, a mother of two, had complained that she was raped at gunpoint Feb 6 inside a moving car after partying late at a night club on fashionable Park Street.
The police complaint was filed three days later after the victim underwent a medical examination. She accused one Lavi Gidwani and four others for the crime.
The woman complained of police inaction as the media rallied behind her. The Chief Minister called the entire issue as a "cooked up" incident to malign the government.
Three people have been arrested so far while two are absconding.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nawaz Sharif's dream of making Kashmir a terror hell will never come true, says Sushma Swaraj
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- 80 killed, over 200 injured in twin suicide bomb attacks on Kabul protesters; Islamic State claims responsibility
- MUST WATCH: One to be treasured! Virat Kohli's 200 and Sunil Gavaskar's generous applause
- SCOPE for accountability check of NGOs getting funds from PSUs
- Govt to invest Rs 200 crore on scaling up existing incubators
- MUST WATCH VIDEO FOR ALL CRICKET FANS: When Rahul Dravid found himself stranded against XI South Africans