Timing of Kolkata Metro services extended
Kolkata: The Kolkata Metro on Tuesday announced extension of timing of services from 6.45 am till 10.45 pm from March 25.
Earlier, the timing of the underground railway was from 7.00 am to 9.45 pm.
The Train Protection and Warning systems (TPWS), which controlled the speed of a train and averted collision by automatic application of brake, in case a motorman is not alert enough, was also introduced.
"In order to better services and security of passengers we are inducting the TPWS system in the Metro," Union Minister of State for Railways Adhir Chowdhury said at a railway programme here.
Stating that there was a need to look into the security of passengers besides providing better services, he said, "We will also install fire extinguishers in all coaches of Metro trains."
The minister also said that lifts were being planned at some Metro stations for aged and physically handicapped people.
Chowdhury said that the Railway Ministry was planning to bring in self-help Metro token and Smart Card recharge counters which would help commuters avoid long queues for buying tickets during office hours.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Safa Baig: What you need to know about Irfan Pathan's lady love
- Virat Kohli, Anushka Sharma announce their break-up officially: Report