Timing of Kolkata Metro services extended
Kolkata: The Kolkata Metro on Tuesday announced extension of timing of services from 6.45 am till 10.45 pm from March 25.
Earlier, the timing of the underground railway was from 7.00 am to 9.45 pm.
The Train Protection and Warning systems (TPWS), which controlled the speed of a train and averted collision by automatic application of brake, in case a motorman is not alert enough, was also introduced.
"In order to better services and security of passengers we are inducting the TPWS system in the Metro," Union Minister of State for Railways Adhir Chowdhury said at a railway programme here.
Stating that there was a need to look into the security of passengers besides providing better services, he said, "We will also install fire extinguishers in all coaches of Metro trains."
The minister also said that lifts were being planned at some Metro stations for aged and physically handicapped people.
Chowdhury said that the Railway Ministry was planning to bring in self-help Metro token and Smart Card recharge counters which would help commuters avoid long queues for buying tickets during office hours.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city