Timing of Kolkata Metro services extended
Kolkata: The Kolkata Metro on Tuesday announced extension of timing of services from 6.45 am till 10.45 pm from March 25.
Earlier, the timing of the underground railway was from 7.00 am to 9.45 pm.
The Train Protection and Warning systems (TPWS), which controlled the speed of a train and averted collision by automatic application of brake, in case a motorman is not alert enough, was also introduced.
"In order to better services and security of passengers we are inducting the TPWS system in the Metro," Union Minister of State for Railways Adhir Chowdhury said at a railway programme here.
Stating that there was a need to look into the security of passengers besides providing better services, he said, "We will also install fire extinguishers in all coaches of Metro trains."
The minister also said that lifts were being planned at some Metro stations for aged and physically handicapped people.
Chowdhury said that the Railway Ministry was planning to bring in self-help Metro token and Smart Card recharge counters which would help commuters avoid long queues for buying tickets during office hours.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read