Belarus embassy wraps up in Sweden
Minsk: The Belarusian embassy in Sweden has stopped accepting most documents after a diplomatic row erupted between the two countries. It has turned the task over to the Latvian embassy, the Belarusian Foreign Ministry said.
Last week, Belarus refused to renew the accreditation of Sweden`s Ambassador Stefan Eriksson. The move came just a few weeks after a Swedish light plane dropped hundreds of teddy bears bearing pro-democracy slogans over Belarus.
"In line with the closing, the embassy of Belarus in Sweden will from August 10 cease the handling of all documents on issues of citizenship, registering (Belarusian) citizens for permanent residence outside Belarus, consultations, issuance of passports, marriage, birth and death certificates, as well as requests for other documents or other issues requiring long-term decisions," a ministry statement read.
Starting August 20, the embassy will no longer accept entry visas to Belarus. From August 27, Belarusians residing in Sweden will have to turn to the Belarusian embassy in Latvia for consultations.
Commenting on Minsk`s move, Swedish Foreign Minister Carl Bildt wrote on his Twitter account that Eriksson had been expelled from Belarus "for being too supportive of human rights".
On Wednesday, the Belarusian Foreign Ministry said it was withdrawing its entire embassy staff from Stockholm, and asked Sweden to pull its diplomats out of Minsk by August 30.
Bildt wrote on Twitter that Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko`s "fear of human rights" was "reaching new heights".
Lukashenko sacked a number of top officials over the teddy bear stunt that took place on July 04.
In power since 1994, the Belarusian strongman has been accused by western governments of cracking down violently on dissent.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi