Chavez back in Venezuela after treatment in Cuba
Caracas: Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez returned to his country after nine days of treatment in Cuba as part of his process of recovery from cancer, which has had him in the operating room three times since June 2011.
"I`m happy to be back again," Chavez said upon arrival at Maiquetia airport near Caracas Friday in a conversation with ministers who went to greet him, an occasion broadcast on state television channel VTV.
Looking swollen and wearing the military academy exercise togs he normally puts on during his treatments, Chavez said he was feeling "in good spirits" in his first words to the public since Nov 15.
"It`s been two months since our victory in October, but yesterday we complete 14 years since our victory on Dec 6 of `98, and we`re eight days from our next victory," he said, the latter being a reference to the upcoming regional elections on Dec 16.
On the airport runway, Chavez, who arrived with his daughters, spoke with some of his Cabinet and leaders of the governing United Socialist Party of Venezuela, or PSUV, to whom he said that he has been "reading reports" and watching the progress of the regional campaign, in which he sees "a great deal of motivation".
The president also mentioned a conversation he had with Cuban leader Fidel Castro, in which they talked about poetry.
Chavez arrived in Cuba Nov 27 to undergo a new treatment of hyperbaric oxygenation and physical therapy, as he explained at the time in a letter, six months after having finished radiation therapy.
The Venezuelan president has been operated three times since June of last year, when a cancer was detected in his pelvic region, whose exact location and seriousness have never been officially revealed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800