Chavez back in Venezuela after treatment in Cuba
Caracas: Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez returned to his country after nine days of treatment in Cuba as part of his process of recovery from cancer, which has had him in the operating room three times since June 2011.
"I`m happy to be back again," Chavez said upon arrival at Maiquetia airport near Caracas Friday in a conversation with ministers who went to greet him, an occasion broadcast on state television channel VTV.
Looking swollen and wearing the military academy exercise togs he normally puts on during his treatments, Chavez said he was feeling "in good spirits" in his first words to the public since Nov 15.
"It`s been two months since our victory in October, but yesterday we complete 14 years since our victory on Dec 6 of `98, and we`re eight days from our next victory," he said, the latter being a reference to the upcoming regional elections on Dec 16.
On the airport runway, Chavez, who arrived with his daughters, spoke with some of his Cabinet and leaders of the governing United Socialist Party of Venezuela, or PSUV, to whom he said that he has been "reading reports" and watching the progress of the regional campaign, in which he sees "a great deal of motivation".
The president also mentioned a conversation he had with Cuban leader Fidel Castro, in which they talked about poetry.
Chavez arrived in Cuba Nov 27 to undergo a new treatment of hyperbaric oxygenation and physical therapy, as he explained at the time in a letter, six months after having finished radiation therapy.
The Venezuelan president has been operated three times since June of last year, when a cancer was detected in his pelvic region, whose exact location and seriousness have never been officially revealed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Heat wave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India