China: 5th Tibetan in week sets self on fire, dies
Beijing: A 23-year-old man has become the fifth Tibetan in a week to set himself on fire and die in a county in far western China to protest against Chinese rule, a rights group said Saturday.
Tsewang Kyab set himself on fire last evening on the main street of Amuquhu town in Xiahe county, London-based Free Tibet said.
Earlier yesterday, a 24-year-old Tibetan farmer, Lhamo Tseten, died from self-immolation near a military base and a government office in Amuquhu, the group said. China`s official Xinhua News Agency reported the self-immolation of a Tibetan man by the same name, though details were slightly different.
Xinhua said that Lhamo Tseten was a 23-year-old villager and that he set himself on fire near a hospital.
Calls to local governments in both Xiahe and the higher administration Gannan prefecture rang unanswered today.
In the past week in Xiahe, which is in Gansu province, a herdsman, a farmer and a man in his late 20s also died after setting themselves on fire.
Dozens of ethnic Tibetans have set themselves on fire in heavily Tibetan regions since March 2011 to protest what activists say is Beijing`s heavy-handed rule in the region.
Many have called for the return of the Dalai Lama, their exiled spiritual leader.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- CHSE Odisha +2 Results 2015 (chseodisha.nic.in): Odisha Board Class 12th Result 2015 declared on orissaresults.nic.in