China to raise nuke power capacity by 20 per cent
Beijing: China on Tuesday announced plans to raise its installed nuclear power generation capacity by 20 per cent this year, shaking off concerns over atomic safety in the wake of Japan`s Fukushima disaster.
China`s plan to raise installed nuclear power capacity by 20 per cent this year indicated the country is developing nuclear power in a safe and efficient way, Chairman of the China Guangdong Nuclear Power Group He Yu told state-run Xinhua news agency.
By 2020, China will have the third-largest number of nuclear power-generating units in operation, following the United States and France, he said.
Nuclear power totalling 3.24 gigawatts (GW) will be added in 2013, the agency quoted National Development and Reform Commission as saying.
According to a government white paper on energy released in October 2012, China had 15 nuclear power-generating units in operation with a total installed capacity of 12.54 GW.
He said China has another 30 units currently under construction, which will add another 32.81 GW.
The October white paper stated that nuclear power only accounts for 1.8 per cent of China`s total power output, far below the global average of 14 per cent.
China`s nuclear power development came to a halt after the Fukushima nuclear crisis that occurred in Japan in March 2011 following a Tsunami triggered by a powerful earthquake.
The country suspended approvals for new nuclear plants and carried out a nationwide safety review after the crisis.
The approvals were cautiously resumed in October 2012.
However, "developing nuclear power is a natural choice in terms of improving China`s energy structure and ensuring safety," He said.
In January, China broke ground on a USD 476 million nuclear power project with a designed capacity of 200 megawatts in the city of Rongcheng in eastern Shandong Province.
The project will be the first in the world to feature a high-temperature gas-cooled reactor with fourth-generation features to be used for commercial purposes.
Developed by Tsinghua University, the reactor will start generating power by the end of 2017, Xinhua said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department