Ecuador and Britain to meet at UN on Assange
United Nations: Foreign ministers from Britain and Ecuador say they plan to meet on the sidelines of the UN General Assembly on the fate of WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange, as a standoff over his future enters its 100th day.
The two countries said British Foreign Secretary William Hague and Ecuador`s foreign minister Ricardo Patino would hold talks today.
Assange, who is seeking to avoid extradition to Sweden for questioning over sex crimes allegations, has been sheltered inside Ecuador`s embassy in London - beyond the reach of British police - since he fled there on June 19.
Ecuador has granted Assange asylum, but he will be arrested by police if he steps outside the building.
Assange yesterday was addressing a sideline meeting at the UN via a videolink from Ecuador`s London embassy.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement