FBI: Flow of foreign fighters into Syria growing
Washington: The flow of foreign fighters into Syria has grown in just the last few months, with dozens of Americans joining the county`s conflict along with thousands of Europeans, FBI Director James Comey said today.
US law enforcement officials have expressed concern about the influence of hard-line jihadists in Syria, many of them linked to al-Qaida, as they seek to overthrow President Bashar Assad. They say fighters from the US or Europe looking to join the cause could easily become radicalised and import those influences when they return home.
Speaking to reporters, Comey said the number of Americans who have either traveled to Syria or sought to do so had grown by a few dozen since the start of the year, and that there are Americans in Syria who are trying to bring others over.
Comey compared the situation to that of Afghanistan when thousands of Muslims worldwide who traveled to the country during the 10-year Soviet occupation returned home with the fervor of jihad and sometimes sought to overthrow their own governments.
"All of us with a memory of the `80s and `90s saw the line drawn from Afghanistan in the `80s and `90s to September 11," he said. "We see Syria as that, but an order of magnitude worse," because more foreign fighters are going there and the country is easier to get to.
He added: "We are determined not to let lines be drawn from Syria today to a future 9/11, " a reference to the 2001 terror attacks against the US.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- Hafiz Saeed teaching terrorism to children in Pakistan
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Bigg Boss double trouble: Four lovebirds, one former couple inside the house
- Five ways to get pregnant fast!