FBI: Flow of foreign fighters into Syria growing
Washington: The flow of foreign fighters into Syria has grown in just the last few months, with dozens of Americans joining the county`s conflict along with thousands of Europeans, FBI Director James Comey said today.
US law enforcement officials have expressed concern about the influence of hard-line jihadists in Syria, many of them linked to al-Qaida, as they seek to overthrow President Bashar Assad. They say fighters from the US or Europe looking to join the cause could easily become radicalised and import those influences when they return home.
Speaking to reporters, Comey said the number of Americans who have either traveled to Syria or sought to do so had grown by a few dozen since the start of the year, and that there are Americans in Syria who are trying to bring others over.
Comey compared the situation to that of Afghanistan when thousands of Muslims worldwide who traveled to the country during the 10-year Soviet occupation returned home with the fervor of jihad and sometimes sought to overthrow their own governments.
"All of us with a memory of the `80s and `90s saw the line drawn from Afghanistan in the `80s and `90s to September 11," he said. "We see Syria as that, but an order of magnitude worse," because more foreign fighters are going there and the country is easier to get to.
He added: "We are determined not to let lines be drawn from Syria today to a future 9/11, " a reference to the 2001 terror attacks against the US.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!