Free Syrian Army shifts HQ from Turkey to Syria
Cairo: Commanders of the rebel Free Syrian Army said they have moved their headquarters from Turkey to an unidentified location in Syria.
They said that the move is an effort to unite and coordinate the armed insurrection against President Bashar al-Assad’s government.
Colonel Riad al-Assad, a leader of the force, announced the move in a video posted on YouTube titled ‘Free Syrian Army Communique No. 1 From Inside’.
“To our free Syrian people, the heroic and proud, and to the sons of the revolution in all the cities of Syria and its villages and homes, and to all factions of the armed revolution, to all of you, we announce the news that the FSA command is moved to the liberated areas,” Colonel Assad said in the video.
According to the Washington Post, Syrian rebels have at least nominal control of a large crescent of territory along Syria’s northern border with Turkey where they could operate a base and no longer have to shuttle officers back and forth.
Some rebel fighters battling government forces inside Syria have complained that the leadership of the Free Syrian Army should be beside them rather than based in Turkey.
“This could be a key development, giving the FSA the chance to become the Syrian opposition to Assad instead of running the risk of turning into ‘Turkey’s opposition’” to Syria’s president, Soner Cagaptay of the Washington Institute for Near East Policy, said.
According to the report, Turkey’s Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan has given his support behind the Syrian rebels, but Turkish opposition parties and some ordinary Turks have expressed fear that their country could be dragged into a sectarian war.
Members of a minority group in Turkey, the Shiite Alawite sect, have demonstrated in support of Assad, who is Alawite.
They have branded the Syrian rebels ‘terrorists’ and called for the ouster not only of Syrian rebel fighters but also of the 120,000 Syrian refugees who Turkish officials estimate are living in Turkey in camps and rented apartments, theNews agencies added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?