Free Syrian Army shifts HQ from Turkey to Syria
Cairo: Commanders of the rebel Free Syrian Army said they have moved their headquarters from Turkey to an unidentified location in Syria.
They said that the move is an effort to unite and coordinate the armed insurrection against President Bashar al-Assad’s government.
Colonel Riad al-Assad, a leader of the force, announced the move in a video posted on YouTube titled ‘Free Syrian Army Communique No. 1 From Inside’.
“To our free Syrian people, the heroic and proud, and to the sons of the revolution in all the cities of Syria and its villages and homes, and to all factions of the armed revolution, to all of you, we announce the news that the FSA command is moved to the liberated areas,” Colonel Assad said in the video.
According to the Washington Post, Syrian rebels have at least nominal control of a large crescent of territory along Syria’s northern border with Turkey where they could operate a base and no longer have to shuttle officers back and forth.
Some rebel fighters battling government forces inside Syria have complained that the leadership of the Free Syrian Army should be beside them rather than based in Turkey.
“This could be a key development, giving the FSA the chance to become the Syrian opposition to Assad instead of running the risk of turning into ‘Turkey’s opposition’” to Syria’s president, Soner Cagaptay of the Washington Institute for Near East Policy, said.
According to the report, Turkey’s Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan has given his support behind the Syrian rebels, but Turkish opposition parties and some ordinary Turks have expressed fear that their country could be dragged into a sectarian war.
Members of a minority group in Turkey, the Shiite Alawite sect, have demonstrated in support of Assad, who is Alawite.
They have branded the Syrian rebels ‘terrorists’ and called for the ouster not only of Syrian rebel fighters but also of the 120,000 Syrian refugees who Turkish officials estimate are living in Turkey in camps and rented apartments, theNews agencies added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Rahul Gandhi's Twitter handle hacked again
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'