Hezbollah under pressure over Syria fighting
Beirut: Lebanon`s Shi’ite Hezbollah movement came under increasing pressure over accusations it is backing regime troops in Syria, as a rebel leader warned of the risk of sparking a sectarian war.
Inside Syria soldiers seized a key town near Damascus from rebels following weeks of fierce clashes, a monitoring group said, and each side blamed the other after fighting destroyed the minaret of Aleppo`s ancient Umayyad mosque.
In an open letter Wednesday, Syria`s leading opposition figure Ahmad Moaz al-Khatib called on Lebanon`s Hezbollah chief Hassan Nasrallah to withdraw his fighters to avoid the conflict degenerating into a sectarian war.
"Hezbollah`s intervention in Syria has complicated matters deeply, and I expected you, given your political and social stature, to play a more positive role" said Khatib in a letter posted on Facebook.
The message was also filmed and posted on YouTube.
Iran-backed Hezbollah, a close ally of President Bashar al-Assad`s regime, has denied Syrian opposition accusations that it has sent its elite troops into Syria to support regime troops battling insurgents.
It says Syrian rebels have targeted Shi’ite areas of Syria inhabited by Lebanese and that Shi’ites in Syria have a right to self-defence.
But the accusations against Hezbollah have multiplied as fighting escalated this week in the Qusayr area near the Lebanon border.
"The claim of defence for Shi’ite villages is unacceptable," said Khatib, who on Sunday quit as head of Syria`s main opposition National Coalition in protest at what he said was world inaction over Assad`s onslaught on the rebels.
"There is a cunning plan to drag the Islamic world into sectarian conflict pitting Sunnis against Shi’ites, starting from Syria and Lebanon, only then to engulf all countries in the region, including Iran and Turkey," he added.
But nobody could win in such a conflict, he said.
"Aren`t 1,000 years of strife between Sunnis and Shi’ites enough for us to bury this narrow sectarian mentality?" he asked.
President Assad belongs to Syria`s minority Alawite sect, an offshoot of Shi’ite Islam. Most of the country`s population -- including the rebel fighters -- are Sunnis.
Khatib, a moderate Sunni sheikh who has widespread support in Syria, made his appeal just two days after radical Sunni sheikh Ahmad al-Assir called for Lebanese fighters to join insurgents seeking to oust Assad.
But the main rebel group, the Free Syrian Army, rejected the call to jihad in a statement on Wednesday.
"We reject any presence of foreign fighters, regardless of where they are from," FSA political and media coordinator Louay Muqdad told a news agency.
"We have said that what we are missing in Syria is weapons, not men."
Two Lebanese Salafist sheikhs have called on their followers to join rebels fighting in Syria and to support Sunni residents of the embattled central province of Homs, following the reports of Hezbollah`s intervention.
Lebanon`s President Michel Sleiman meanwhile reiterated the country`s official stance of neutrality in the conflict, saying no weapons or fighters should be allowed to cross into Syria, the National News Agency reported.
Syria`s Army recaptured the key town of Otaybeh east of Damascus on Wednesday after weeks of fierce fighting, Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said.
The regime force had used warplanes, tanks, artillery and rocket-launchers during the fight, Observatory director Rami Abdel Rahman told a news agency.
"After trying dozens of times to re-enter into the town, rebels withdrew at dawn after putting up a fierce resistance," he told a news agency.
The Observatory also said that mortar rounds killed seven civilians in the Jaramana suburb of Damascus, which is held by the regime, with another 30 wounded, six of them critically.
State news agency SANA published the same toll.
The Damascus regime and rebel forces meanwhile blamed each other for the destruction on Wednesday of the minaret of Aleppo`s ancient Umayyad mosque, Syrian state media and a watchdog reported.
An archaeological treasure in Aleppo`s UNESCO-listed Old City, the mosque had already suffered extensive damage during months of fighting. Rebels said they had managed to salvage ancient handwritten Koranic manuscripts.
According to UN figures the conflict in Syria has already left more than 70,000 people dead since it began in March 2011.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!