Inquiry into BBC entertainer is growing: UK police
London: British police today said a highly publicised inquiry into a BBC entertainer believed to have molested dozens of girls has widened to include more than 200 potential victims and possibly new perpetrators.
The Metropolitan Police say it is pursuing over 400 separate lines of inquiry as part of the investigation into the late Jimmy Savile, a well-known children`s television presenter whose reputation crumbled after one woman after another came forward to allege that he routinely sexually assaulted young girls.
Savile hosted "Top of the Pops" and "Jim`ll Fix It" two shows watched by generations of British youth and his death last year at the age of 84 drew tributes from across the country. But the revelations of abuse have horrified his former fans and led to a bout of soul-searching at the BBC, where some of the abuse was alleged to have taken place.
Savile`s very public fall from grace has also prompted others to speak openly for the first time about their abuse whether at his hands or the hands of the others.
Scotland Yard said today that it was now investigating allegations against people who are still alive. It did not go into further detail.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case