`Iran increasing lethal aid to Syrian regime`
Washington: Iran is increasing its "lethal"
military and intelligence assistance to the embattled Syrian
regime in its crackdown on opposition strongholds like Homs,
according to a media report on Sunday.
Iran has increased supply of arms and other aid for
Syrian leader Bashar al-Assad at a time when his regime is
mounting an "unprecedented offensive to crush resistance in
the key city of Homs", `The Washington Post` said quoting
unnamed US officials with access to intelligence reports from
"The aid from Iran is increasing, and is increasingly
focused on lethal assistance," said one of the officials.
The expanded Iranian role in the conflict has been
underscored by reports supported by US intelligence findings that an Iranian operative was recently wounded while working
with Syrian security forces inside the country.
The flow of military aid to Assad comes as Arab states
are considering arming the regime`s opponents, raising the
risk of a wider conflict that US officials fear could spread
to neighbouring countries, the Post said.
In addition, the intelligence reports about rising
Iranian support for Syria come as US officials are seeking to
rally international support for efforts to drive Assad from
power without resorting to arming the rebels a move the
Obama administration has opposed.
The portrayal offered by the US officials quoted in
the article is more detailed than previously reported; such
accounts are generally difficult to verify independently.
Iran has made no secret of its support for the Assad
regime, though President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad has made repeated
calls for a peaceful solution to the conflict, which began
almost a year ago.
The US intelligence assessments are in line with recent
reports by Syrian rebels, who say Iran`s involvement in the
crackdown has escalated.
Opposition leaders, citing high-ranking defectors from
the Syrian military, say Iran has dispatched hundreds of
advisers, security officials and intelligence operatives to
Syria, along with weapons, money and electronic surveillance
According to the UN, Syrian security forces have killed
over 7,500 civilians since an uprising against Assad`s regime
began last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'