Iran razes buildings near alleged nuclear site
Washington: New satellite photographs published by a US-based think tank appear to indicate attempts by Iran to clean up a military site south of Tehran suspected of being used for nuclear-weapons research.
The UN nuclear watchdog, International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), has specifically been pressing Iran to allow inspectors to visit the military site, known as Parchin.
The agency believes the site may have been involved in the testing of high explosives used to simulate a nuclear detonation.
On Wednesday, the Institute for Science and International Security (ISIS) posted satellite photos taken on May 25 that appear to show the razing of two buildings at the Parchin site and the deployment of heavy machinery to move earth and equipment, The Wall Street Journal reports.
According to the paper, the activities are in the area where the IAEA believes there was a containment vessel used to conduct high explosives testing.
ISIS has also posted photos from April that apparently shows Iranian efforts to wash the Parchin site with water.
“The newest image raises concerns that Iran is attempting to raze the site prior to allowing the IAEA visit,” ISIS said in its report.
“The razing of the two buildings may also indicate that Iran has no intention to allow inspectors access soon,” it added.
Iran recently denied claims that it has sought to sanitise Parchin.
The IAEA, however, publicly raised its concerns about recent activities at the site.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Special report: Kashmiri Pandits recall their plight
- Jhansi's ammunition factory was target of ISI agents
- Panel discussion on film director Ali Akbar's accusation on Madrasa
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory