Jamaica to abandon Queen Elizabeth II
London: Portia Simpson Miller immediately after taking oath as Jamaica’s new prime minister has vowed to abandon the Queen as her country’s official Head of State.
Jamaica declared independence from Britain in 1962 but remains within the Commonwealth and has Queen Elizabeth II as Head of State.
Miller said she would sever colonial-era links by abandoning the British monarch and adopting a republican form of government.
The Privy Council in London will also be replaced with Trinidad-based Caribbean Court of Justice as its highest court of appeal in a bid to “end judicial surveillance from London”.
Taking the oath of office, she said: “I love the Queen; she is a beautiful lady. But I think time has come.”
Miller (66) was sworn on Friday for the second time, The Daily Mail reports.
She scored a dramatic victory in last week’s national elections, leading her slightly left-leaning People`s National Party to a 2-to-1 margin in Parliament over the centre-right Jamaica Labour Party.
Her opposition faction won a dominating 42 seats in the 63-seat legislature, leaving the incumbent party with 21.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- Log on to wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in for WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 WBCHSE
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result 2015 to be announced shortly