Japan PM calls for `frank` talks with China, South Korea
Tokyo: Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe called on Saturday for "frank" summit talks with China and South Korea to help solve historical and territorial disputes that have soured ties between the neighbours.
A year of heated arguments have prevented the three from holding any top-level meetings, with Beijing and Seoul accusing Abe of showing a lack of remorse for World War II wrongs.
"We should hold a summit meeting and have a frank discussion," Abe said in an interview on public broadcaster NHK, two days after Japan`s foreign minister called for similar talks.
Abe, China`s President Xi Jinping and South Korean President Park Geun-Hye all came to power around a year ago, but entrenched positions and growing nationalism in the three countries have prevented them from getting together.
Seoul and Beijing were angered by Abe`s visit last month to a shrine in Tokyo that counts 14 senior war criminals among the 2.5 million souls it commemorates.
China and South Korea see the Yasukuni shrine as a symbol of Japan`s wartime aggression in Asia.
Today, Abe reiterated he had visited to make a pledge against war, and like other leaders around the world to pray for those who lost their lives for their countries.
"I want people to think about whether this is wrong. If they think about it, I think the misunderstanding will go away," he said.
Two separate territorial disputes over uninhabited islands in the East China Sea, which Beijing and Seoul say have their roots in Japan`s early imperial ambitions, have also roiled relations.
Abe said a summit should be held "all the more because there are these issues" but added that Tokyo would not agree to any concessions over disputed issues as a precursor to discussions.
"It would be unreasonable if Japan must clear hurdles for summit talks," he said.
On Friday, Japanese Foreign Minister Fumio Kishida said the respective leaders should "make efforts to solve" their disputes.
The call came after Japan brushed off comments by China`s envoy to the African Union in which he branded Abe a "troublemaker".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org