NATO missiles along Syria border for defense: Turkey
Ankara: Turkey has dismissed Russian and Iranian concerns that the possible deployment of NATO missiles along the country`s southern border with Syria would make the crisis more complicated.
In a televised interview on private news channel CNN Turk, Turkish Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu said: "We cannot see any point that would justify these concerns. The missile system has a defensive purpose only. This system will not be operational unless there is a risk to our security.
"And it is our government`s obligation to take any measure when there is even the slightest chance of risk."
"When the risk against our borders is alleviated Patriots will leave our country," he added.
Last Wednesday, Turkey placed a formal request to NATO for deploying Patriot missiles along the Syrian border, which saw an escalation of tensions between the two neighbours after a stray Syrian shell had landed in Turkey, killing five people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part III