NATO reports new Russian troop build-up near Ukraine
Kiev: NATO today reported another build-up of Russian forces near Ukraine as its new president put in place key pieces of his pro-Western government and embraced an EU trade pact that has been bitterly fought by the Kremlin.
Ukraine`s parliament unanimously confirmed as foreign minister Pavlo Klimkin -- a charismatic 46-year-old ambassador to Germany who had spearheaded the EU negotiations and now represents Poroshenko at closed-door talks with Moscow.
Those high-stakes meetings and Poroshenko`s late-night phone exchange on Tuesday with Russian President Vladimir Putin bolstered hopes for a solution to Ukraine`s worst crisis since independence in 1991.
Poroshenko promised to soon unilaterally halt the army`s 10-week push against pro-Russian insurgents who have proclaimed independence in Ukraine`s eastern rustbelt -- a plan some fighters rejected but Moscow cautiously endorsed.
Russia`s Deputy Foreign Minister Grigory Karasin called Klimkin "one of Ukraine`s most experienced and well-known diplomats". "We wish the new minister success and are ready for contact with him," the Russian diplomat said.
But the Kremlin`s good will was immediately put in question by new charges from NATO that Putin had sent "at least a few thousand more" troops to the border in a reversal of a withdrawal he had begun at the start of the month.
"I consider this a very regrettable step backwards," NATO Secretary-General Anders Fogh Rasmussen said in London. "It seems that Russia keeps the option open to intervene further into Ukraine."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM