Pentagon steps up planning for military intervention in Syria
Washington: The Pentagon has stepped up planning for potential military intervention in the Syrian civil war.
The move comes specifically because of growing evidence the Syrian regime may have used chemical weapons.
According to CNN, a senior administration official said that `there is intensified planning underway as more precise evidence has come that the Syrian regime used chemical weapons`.
If President Barack Obama were to order action, it could involve thousands of US troops. The official said it`s not likely to involve troops on the ground in Syria.
Two other officials said that the most likely options would be using cruise missiles based at sea and fighter jets to try to destroy chemical sites or the headquarters of Syrian military elements linked to them, the report said.
The official said that the new planning is an effort to `align` military capabilities with various options and scenarios that could likely emerge.
According to the report, he however also emphasized it also involves looking at more direct U.S. military involvement in providing humanitarian relief for the hundreds of thousands of Syrian refugees now in Jordan and Turkey.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!